Friday 28 August 2015

AN UNFORGIVING SPIRIT…SIN IS LURKING AT YOUR DOOR (SEASON 2 EPISODE 7)

"Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift"-. Matthew 5:23-24

Today is the 11th July, 2015. At about 7am in the morning, my mother called Justina. She had tried reaching my phone but I have a habit of switching off my phones before going to bed. Justina had told her about the swab test she was supposed to do and my mother needed to confirm if it had been done. The test had not been done. Justina and I were low on cash and as such, we couldn't afford the test at this time.

Daddy came to the rescue…

Now daddy told me that he would provide the funds we required for the swab test as well as Prof’s consultation fees at our next appointment. (See Episode 2 of season 2) so he needed Justina and I to ensure that the swab test was done early so that we could see the doctor on the 19th, July, 2015. (It takes about two days to have a swab test result ready and the Prof consults mostly on Sundays).

Now I told Justina to call the diagnostic centre (Echo Scan Services Limited) to inquire about the cost and procedure for the swab test so we could plan accordingly for it.

WE HAD DECIDED THAT Justina would call the diagnostic centre today the 11th July, 2015. WE HAD DECIDED!

On the night of the 11th July, 2015, I snapped!

You remember Justina and I decided that she was going to call the diagnostic centre? Well she didn't!

Her excuse for this lapse was that she didn't think she would have time to do the swab test the following week (That’s from the 13th July up until the 16th since it takes two days to have the result ready and we needed it before the 19th) She explained that she had an audit exercise on Monday the 13th and a training program from Tuesday to Thursday(15th-16th).

I was having none of that. I believed that even if the world would cease spinning, anything aimed at the fulfilment of the June 7 covenant must be priority! In annoyance, Justina tried to defend herself and then she angrily said she had other things on her mind and that made me even more irritated….what could be more important for us at this stage than having children???
Now I am not a woman beater. Never laid hands on my wife and by his grace, I never shall. But I had my way of dealing with such issues; I switch off. My demeanour becomes cold and I avoid conversations except when it is very important.

My attitude continued till the next day…my own brand of emotional abuse (such a shame right?)

On the 12th July, 2015, in church, (The Latter Rain Assembly) Pastor Uche was taking the SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES segment (It runs from 9am to 10am and it is a bible study session) Guess what the topic was? The essence of forgiveness.

The first bombshell hit me… “Forgiveness is important for the answering of prayers. Without us letting go of hurt, it is difficult to pray in agreement”
“For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” Matthew 18:20

How can Uzoma and Justina then offer acceptable sacrifice of praise to God when they do not agree?

The second bombshell: “YOU CANNOT BE OFFENDED AND ANOINTED AT THE SAME TIME!”
“Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, For anger rests in the bosom of fools”. Ecclesiastes 7:9

The third bombshell hit: “When we pray, we say “forgive us our trespasses even as we forgive those who trespass against us” this is a direct directive to Christians, you have to carry on the nature of Christ by forgiving others so that you can become a bonafide recipient for forgiveness”.

And yet another bombshell: “Manasseh precedes Ephraim…one must forget past hurts and toils before one can be fruitful”.
“Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: “For God has made me forget all my toil and all my father’s house.” And the name of the second he called Ephraim: “For God has caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.” Genesis 41: 51

Since we are Christians and we are expected to be Christlike, what does it mean when we pray “Give us this day, our daily bread…”

When we ask for our daily bread, God expects us to likewise be in a position to give daily bread to those he has entrusted in our care. Bread represents more than just food or material needs…bread is everything necessary for life.

In Mark 7:27, we read about Christ’s conversation with the Syro-Phoenician woman…in that situation, bread represented divine healing.
“But Jesus said to her, “Let the children be filled first, for it is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.” Mark 7:27

In Numbers 14:9, Bread represented victory against enemies.
“Only do not rebel against the Lord, nor fear the people of the land, for they are our bread; their protection has departed from them, and the Lord is with us. Do not fear them.” Numbers 14:9

Daily, your spouse requires love, care, kindness, protection and attention from you…

And then the final bombshell landed on my head in church that day: “There is a place for discipline but do not punish anyone with their daily bread”.

OUCH!

The Holy Spirit directed me to make peace with my wife. All through the drive home, I fought within my spirit concerning how I was to go about the peace making process. The Holy Spirit directed me to call my wife when we got home, apologise to her, forgive her and then join hands in prayer; the Devil told me to punish her a little longer so that next time, she will know better than to challenge my authority…

And so I hardened my heart.


“And they said, “That is hopeless! So we will walk according to our own plans, and we will every one obey the dictates of his evil heart.” Jeremiah 18:12
Follow on twitter @june7project and do drop a comment to share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment