Friday 21 August 2015

TRIBUTE TO UNCLE CY…I CHOOSE LIFE (SEASON 2 EPISODE 3)

And this is the promise that He has promised us—eternal life”. 1 John 2:25

Now you remember my father’s friend who passed away in Episode 2 of Season 2? I had known him all my life. His name is Cyprian Emenyonu, we called him uncle CY. His death hit us hard. Uncle CY was a friend indeed to my father. I remember the day my mother died, that night, my father, uncle CY and I all slept in the same room. Such was the bond.

On the day Uncle CY passed away, I was at the prayer meeting of the Legal Department of my church somewhere around Ojodu in Lagos State when my sister called me…”Uncle CY is dead, I am taking dad and mum to Gbagada General Hospital”

I left Ojodu around 7.30pm and I drove straight to Gbagada General Hospital. I called Justina to inform her of the situation and to let her know that I would be home late. When I got to the hospital, I met with Uncle CY’s wife and son…it was heartbreaking.

Now let me say something about Uncle CY’s son.

Chisom Emeyonu should be no older than 25 years old by my calculations (uncle CY got married in 1990) yet he displayed an unusual calm and maturity. He was everywhere that night and he held his own…he didn’t break down.

I joined a team of men to lift uncle CY’s lifeless body from the stretcher, into a body bag. My dad had broken down in tears and seeing my father cry brought so many painful memories of the ones we lost…my heart broke.

When my father told me to put up a tribute on behalf of my siblings for Uncle CY, there was no better way to do so than to use it as an avenue to evangelise. Christian living is something I take seriously and the salvation of souls is a task I engage in daily…if Christ expects me to preach the good news, then any avenue I get would be another opportunity to do so. Uncle CY was born-again. He attended the Deeper Life Bible Church and everything about him radiated holiness and Christian living. What better way to celebrate such a man than to use his demise as an opportunity to do that which he spent his entire life doing?

While my uncle’s death has nothing to do with children nor is it directly related to those in God’s waiting room, it has everything to do with God and the gospel of our lord Jesus Christ. It is based on this that it has found its way into this blog. The timely message in the tribute is also for someone reading this post today, Uncle CY is gone and yet we believe in our hearts that he has gone to a better place. Where would you go when death comes? Would you be translated to eternal life with Christ or would your soul be damned for eternity in hell? This is a choice only you can make.

For we cannot choose when or how we are born, we cannot even choose the day we shall depart this earth, however, we can choose how to spend eternity and I believe this in the last analysis should make the difference.

“And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15

Below is the tribute to my uncle…

 
I CHOOSE LIFE

“But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God” –Luke 9:27

Is this humanly possible? That a man born of flesh and blood shall live on this earth from the time of Christ till the resurrection? Probably not. What then did Jesus Christ mean when he spoke these words? The interpretation of scripture lies in scripture so we shall look closely at another bible verse to understand what kind of death Christ referred to.

“Therefore we were buried with him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the father, even so we also should walk in the newness of life….for he who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe we shall also live with him, knowing that Christ having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over him. For the death that he died, he died to sin once and for all, but the life that he lives, he lives to God”-Romans 6 4-10.

The death Christ referred to was sin and the corruption of the spirit. For as many who yield to sin, they are subject to the death and corruption that follows sin. But just as Christ assured, there are some who shall rise above sin (death) and sin shall not have dominion over them.
The Christian life is interesting and at the same time confusing to those who do not catch the vision. Why do we celebrate at a time such as this?

I have known uncle CY since I was a little child and one thing is constant about his lifestyle: holiness. Some may even say he brought a new dimension to the concept of holiness and in his exemplary lifestyle, he showed us how everything and anything is secondary to the primary objective of righteous living and eternal life. It is a hard line to tow especially in this age of materialism when most people are caught up in the acquisition frenzy. Being able to remain simple, focused and dead to worldly things is testimony to the vision my Uncle CY ran with. He saw the bigger picture and in this simplicity of living and pursuit of righteousness, he was indeed wealthier than most.

Would this be a time to recount the times spent together? The role he played in my family when our mother went to be with the lord? The times spent in prayers and sweet communion? The support and courage my father was able to draw from his company in those dark days? No. this is not the time. That’s a story I shall save for my children even as I charge them to continue in the way of holiness and never get caught up in the world so much that they lose the final destination of heaven. This is rather the time to celebrate and use the exemplary life my uncle CY lived to teach others about holiness and Jesus Christ. What a man.

As many as remain in the valley of indecision, let the life of this man teach us, what would you be remembered for when you are no more? How many lives have you touched? How many people have you led to Christ? Christian living is one that we must master and live daily until it becomes the air we breathe and it is imbibed in all we do. That when we open our mouths, we speak Christ, when we open our eyes, we see Christ, when we open our ears, we hear Christ and in every touch, we feel Christ. That we may be worthy ambassadors of the kingdom chosen by God to stand in his place even for a moment and cause a change in our environment. If your environment doesn't recognize the Christ in you, then it is indeed time to check yourself and re-align your ways.

Christian living is a lifestyle we must keep in constant movement and activity, a little sleep and dragging of feet and we fall to sin. The Bible explains this succinctly in Genesis…

“….and if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And it desires you, but you should rule over it”

As many as read this tribute and are not sure where they would spend eternity, this is the day of salvation and God is calling out to you, he desires to bring you into his rest and give you power over death and the grave. Just as the time of his second coming is not known to man, so also, the day you shall depart this sinful world. The only currency acceptable at heaven’s gate is holiness and righteous living. Every other currency, or possession or achievement would perish in the grave.

This is how Uncle CY would have wanted it to be. No regrets, peace, eternal life. Living behind in faith to continue from where he stopped, a wife who also knows the God for herself and children who are ready tools for kingdom activity. It is a wonderful destiny, it is a sweet end to life on this sinful planet.

Despite all these, mortality still creeps in once every now and then and we mourn the departing of one whom we would have loved to run this Christian race alongside a little longer. What then is our consolation? What then shall we hold on to in time of grief and a heavy heart?

“The righteous perishes and no one takes it to heart; merciful men are taken away while no one considers that the righteous is taken away from evil. He shall enter into peace; they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness” – Isaiah 57 1-2

This is the promise and assurance of rest, of escape from evil and of hope. It is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment