Monday 3 August 2015

THE BITTERSWEET YEARS......A TIME TO MOURN (SEASON 1 EPISODE 4)

“For thus says the Lord: the whole land shall be desolate; yet I will not make a full end” Jeremiah 4:27.

In 2009, September 4th, I lost my mother to Cancer. She had battled the ailment since 2008. My world stopped.

When you lose someone, the initial tears are short-lived. You immediately stop crying and swing into action. The reality hits you later in the day…at night. Then you start having dreams of the deceased being very much alive. You fight in your subconscious to keep dreaming and you hope that somehow by some genius stroke of magic, the dream becomes a reality. Morning comes along with its grief and then your heart breaks…again.

Mum had lived a good life, she was a Christian and she had made peace with several people before her demise. It was God who led her to do this, in preparation for her homecoming. She is in heaven now, I hope I am able to make her proud even as she makes me proud.

Father was able to hold the family together as a single indivisible unit. His five children were all he had now and he held us close…I also developed some form of maturity during this time…I was matured enough to break up with my then girlfriend. Our genotypes didn’t match and she may not have made the best of wives. It was a tough decision, but I had to make it.

In 2012, my father remarried. My step-mum is Yoruba. Not that I minded though, I was actually more Yoruba than Ibo in many ways. Forget the cliché of the wicked step mother…mine is different. My step-mother is a mother like a mother and we all love her greatly. She had previously been married but she lost her husband in 2007…they never had any children.

In 2013, my third sister got married to a wonderful young man. These were good times.

And on 23rd August, 2014, after three years of courtship and love, I got married to my wife 
Justina. She is Yoruba.

As a result of work, maturity, family commitments and maybe some form of fulfilment, my lifestyle of deceit and women remained tamed for some time before my marriage…in its place was an amoral lifestyle devoid of any form of reverence for God or belief in his words. The events of the next few days after my marriage would kill me further…

On the 27th august 2014, I lost my elder sister to sickle cell anemia…life!


“The righteous perishes, and no man takes it to heart; merciful men are taken away while no one considers that the righteous is taken away from evil” Isaiah 57:1

No comments:

Post a Comment