Thursday 6 August 2015

THE FOOL'S PARADISE...AND NOW THERE IS A PROBLEM (SEASON 1 EPISODE 5)

“He who trusts in his own heart is a fool…” Proverbs 28:26

After our marriage in August 2015, my wife and I had decided to engage in safe sex until January, 2015. From August through to December 2014, we resorted to condoms, pills and the withdrawal method. By January 2015, all gloves were off and we started working towards having a child.

By March 2015, after trying for three months to take in to no avail, we decided that it was time to seek medical assistance…

Why so early you might ask? I really don’t know. I guess I was confident in my potency and so I had expected results at my first shot.

Justina consulted a doctor, particularly to find out if a mild infection she had suffered earlier could be responsible for her inability to conceive. She also wanted to be educated better on calculating her ovulation period. I live in Magodo Estate Phase 1 in Lagos State and Justina had visited the Local Healthcare Centre in the Magodo-Isheri area to seek medical attention. Justina was advised to undergo some tests. The results came back without any major cause for alarm. She was clear.

At this point, I was still confident that I was fertile and healthy. As far back as 2002, I had gotten a lady pregnant. Needless to say, I had procured an abortion for her. That was the assurance I needed as proof of my fertility. I was a real man.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight! Isaiah 5:21

Justina consulted another doctor who was the elder sister to her friend. The doctor advised that I should go for a sperm analysis test and also watch what I ate. Now, I had an addiction to sugar, especially carbonated drinks. The need to reduce my sugar intake never bothered me before now, maybe because I never gained excessive weight. What did I know?

On the day Justina met with her friend’ sister, she had used my car to make the trip. Now Justina had her own car and she worked with the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service located in Alausa, Lagos State, the same location as my office. However, Justina’s car was not exactly reliable so she had to take mine for the trip. When she returned, she drove into the Lagos State Secretariat to give me my car. I met with her in order to pick up the keys and she was in company of two friends. She then said jokingly…”Uzoma when we get home, we have a lot to talk about, first thing you need to drop is your coke intake” that hit me hard. Being spoken to in that manner in the presence of her friends was more than I could bear, I simply smiled and walked away.

By the time we got home, I expressed my displeasure at her comments. Why should she speak to me that way in the presence of her friends? Was she insinuating that I had the problem? I assured her that I was a fertile man and I would undergo the test to prove it. At this point, I was still very confident because I assumed that the same potency I showed in 2002 was still in me…what did I know?

On the 7th May, 2015, dressed in a navy blue suit and brown shoes, I went to AJ Rapha Diagnostic Centre in the Ojodu area of Lagos State to have a sperm analysis done. I had all the confidence in the world. The Lab Technician handed me a sterile tube. Using Vaseline in the toilet, I masturbated until I ejaculated into the tube. When I handed the specimen back to the Lab Technician, I had this corky look on my face…”prime stuff” The test costs N3000.

I never told Justina I went for the test though, I wanted the result to be a surprise to her. I was told to come back for my result by 10a.m on Saturday the 9th May, 2015. On that fateful day, Justina and I went queueing for fuel in the morning as there was fuel scarcity in Lagos State this period. Around 1pm, we left the filling station without any luck. While Justina drove her car home, I raced to AJ Rapha Diagnostic Centre to pick the test result. I had parked my car at a distance and I mounted a commercial motorcycle to the centre.

On getting to AJ Rapha Diagnostic Centre at about 1.30pm, they were about closing. I grabbed my test result and dashed out…on the bike ride back to where I parked my car, I opened the test result.

I felt numb.


“Arrogance is a creature. It does not have senses. It has only a sharp tongue and the pointing finger.” 

― Toba Beta

No comments:

Post a Comment